Dr. Jana Hedrich
Junior Group Leader, Funding JUGGLE member, JUGGLE Spokeswoman
Max-Planck-Institute for Polymer Research
Ackermannweg 10, 55128 Mainz
Web page at the MPI-P, private website
One of my research interests focuses on the physiology and pathophysiology of the blood-brain barrier (BBB). The BBB is the most important interface which separates the bloodstream and the brain parenchyma. Here we focus on the investigation of targeted nanoparticles to deliver drugs to the brain. Further, we are interested in the phenomena, which affect the integrity of the BBB in hypoxia/ mild hypoxia or brain traumata.
In the future, my research will aim to understand and influence neuronal disease. Therefore, we will investigate biomaterials in live science applications for the nervous system.
Key techniques: BBB in vitro and in vivo models, TEER measurements, immunofluorescence, live cell imaging, epi & confocal imaging, cardiac perfusion, primary cell culture (endothelial cells, neurons, and astrocytes), biochemistry, characterisation of biomaterials
Research system/organism: BBB in vitro and in vivo models, mouse & rat
- Xiang S, Wagner J, Lückerath T, Müllen K, Ng DYW, Hedrich J, Weil T. Reversing Aβ Fibrillation and Inhibiting Aβ Primary Neuronal Cell Toxicity using Amphiphilic Polyphenylene Dendrons. Adv Healthc Mater 2101854 (2021)
- Moscariello P, Raabe M, Liu W, Bernhardt S , Qi H, Kaiser U, Wu Y, Weil T, Luhmann H J, Hedrich J (2019) Unraveling in Vivo Brain Transport of Protein-Coated Fluorescent Nanodiamonds. Small. (2019)
- Gačanin J, Hedrich J, Sieste S, Glaßer G, Lieberwirth I, Schilling C, Knöll B., Synatschke CV*,Weil T*. Autonomous Ultra-Fast Self-Healing Hydrogels by pH-Responsive Functional Nanofiber Gelators as Cell Matrices. Advanced Materials. 31 (2), 1805044 (2019)
- Moscariello P, Ng DYW, Jansen M, Weil T, Luhmann HJ, Hedrich J. Brain Delivery of Multifunctional Dendrimer Protein Bioconjugates. Advanced Science:1700897. (2018)
- Stangenberg R, Wu Y, Hedrich J, Kurzbach D, Wehner D, Weidinger G, Kuan SL, Jansen MI, Jelezko F, Luhmann HJ, Hinderberger D, Weil T, Müllen K. A polyphenylene dendrimer drug transporter with precisely positioned amphiphilic surface patches. Adv Healthc Mater 4:377–384. (2015)