One of my research interests focuses on the physiology and pathophysiology of the blood brain barrier (BBB). The BBB is the most important interface which separates the blood stream and the brain parenchyma. Here we focus on the investigation of targeted nanoparticles to deliver drugs to the brain. Further, we are interested in the phenomena, which affect the integrity of the BBB in hypoxia/mild hypoxia or brain traumata. In future, my research will aim to understand and influence neuronal disease. Therefore, we will investigate biomaterials in live science applications for the nervous system.
Key techniques: BBB in vitro and in vivo models, TEER measurements, immune fluorescence, live cell imaging, epi & confocal imaging, cardiac perfusion, primary cell culture (endothelial cells, neurons, astrocytes), biochemistry, characterisation of biomaterials
Research system/organism: BBB in vitro and in vivo models, mouse & rat
- Gačanin J, Hedrich J, Sieste S, Glaßer G, Lieberwirth I, Schilling C, Knöll B., Synatschke CV,Weil T. (2018) Autonomous Ultra-Fast Self-Healing Hydrogels by pH-Responsive Functional Nanofiber Gelators as Cell Matrices. Advanced Materials. Accepted Oct. 2018.
- Moscariello P, Ng DYW, Jansen M, Weil T, Luhmann HJ, Hedrich J* (2018) Brain Delivery of Multifunctional Dendrimer Protein Bioconjugates. Advanced Science:1700897.
- Stangenberg R, Wu Y, Hedrich J, Kurzbach D, Wehner D, Weidinger G, Kuan SL, Jansen MI, Jelezko F, Luhmann HJ, Hinderberger D, Weil T, Müllen K (2015) A polyphenylene dendrimer drug transporter with precisely positioned amphiphilic surface patches. Adv Healthc Mater 4:377-384.
- Hedrich J, Wu Y, Kuan SL, Kuehn F, Pietrowski E, Sahl M, Muth S, Müllen K, Luhmann HJ, Weil T, Schmidt M (2013) Polymer Complexes in Biological Applications. In. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer Berlin Heidelberg. [Accessed February 14, 2014].
- Hedrich J, Lottaz D, Meyer K, Yiallouros I, Jahnen-Dechent W, Stöcker W, Becker-Pauly C (2010) Fetuin-A and cystatin C are endogenous inhibitors of human meprin metalloproteases. Biochemistry 49:8599-8607.