Dr. Julia Leschik
Institute of Physiological Chemistry, University Medical Center of the JGU
Duesbergweg, 55128 Mainz
My main research focus is neural differentiation of embryonic and adult stem cells. We are using neurally differentiated, modified embryonic stem cells for transplantation into mouse models of different neuropathological conditions as a cell replacement therapy approach.Furthermore I am interested in adult neural stem cell development in different transgenic mouse models and its implication on certain behaviours.
Key techniques: Homologous recombination, Mouse embryonic and adult stem cell techniques, Cell transplantation, Mouse behaviour
Research system/organism: Mouse embryonic stem cells, Mus musculus
Five Most Relevant Publications
- Leschik, J., Eckenstaler, R., Nieweg, K., Lichtenecker, P., Brigadski, T., Gottmann, K., Lessmann, V. and Lutz, B. (2013) Embryonic stem cells stably expressing BDNF-GFP exhibit a BDNF-release-dependent enhancement of neuronal differentiation. J. Cell Sci. 126, 5062-73.
- Lapasset, L., Milhavet, O., Prieur, A., Besnard, E., Babled, A., Aït-Hamou, N., Leschik, J., Pellestor, F., Ramirez, J.M., De Vos, J., Lehmann, S. and Lemaitre, J.M. (2011) Rejuvenating senescent and centenarian human cells by reprogramming through the pluripotent state. Genes Dev., 25 (21), 2248-53
- Leschik, J., Stefanovic, S., Brinon, B. and Pucéat, M. (2008) Cardiac commitment of primate embryonic stem cells. Nature Protoc., 3 (9), 1381-7
- Tomescot, A., Leschik, J.*, Bellamy, V., Dubois, G, Messas, E., Bruneval, P., Desnos, M., Hagège, A., Amit, M., Iskovitz, J., Menasché, P. and Pucéat, M. (2007) Differentiation in vivo of cardiac committed human embryonic stem cells in post-myocardial infracted rats. Stem Cells, 25, 2200-2205 * Co-First-Authorship
- Leschik, J., Welzel, A., Weissmann, C., Eckert, A. and Brandt, R. (2007) Inverse and distinct modulation of tau-dependent neurodegeneration by presenilin 1 and amyloid-beta in cultured cortical neurons: evidence that tau phosphorylation is the limiting factor in amyloid-beta-induced cell death. J Neurochem., 101 (5), 1303-15